Saturday, April 24, 2010

How do you open a word/txt doc by itself from IE?

I know how to create a link using HTML that would enable me to open a word or text document that resides on my hard drive. (using the target as _blank). However when I click the link to open the doc, I get a dialogue box asking me if I want to "open"/"save"/"cancel". When I click "open", it will successfully open the doc in a IE window, and thats the problem. I need some experts here to tell me how I can use HTML or javascript so the word doc DOES NOT open in a IE window, and also if there is a way to avoid the dialogue box asking me if I want to open, save or cancel.



How do you open a word/txt doc by itself from IE?windows xp themes





When your server sends out the requested MS-Word doc, it sends a header along with it to indicate the type of file that the web server believes it to be.



Most web servers are configured to send a .doc with the header:



Content-type: application/msword



If you end up seeing the MS-Word document inside of IE, the problem is not with your webserver but with your *client* (in this case, IE itself). IE has been configured to accept the above content-type and has been told (by you or MS or your IT peoples) that IE can render the document itself.



See the URL below as an attempt to describe what is going on. But the answer is simply to modify IE's setting. I'm not an IE guru, but I believe the setting you want to change or disable is in:



Tools -%26gt; Internet Options -%26gt; Programs -%26gt; Manage Add-ons...



Hopefully, if this is the wrong place, someone will correct me.



How do you open a word/txt doc by itself from IE?download windows media player internet explorer



jsut change the format of the doc to html
You can link to a text file the same way you link to html files, you must be sharing files with the internet in order for the link to work. Internet Explorer won't open word files, they have to be saved as .txt or .html
There is no way to prevent this behavior with HTML. The web client (Internet Explorer in this case) is programmed to do what you see: give you an option and carry it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
web hosting servers